Friday 13 December 2013

Running away to the circus with Modern Apprenticeships


Modern Apprenticeships offer people aged over 16 the chance to learn on the job in order to provide them with skills to go on to bigger and better things. This could be further education, full-time employment or – in the case of one apprentice – the circus!
Dancer Laura Harrison has just completed her Modern Apprenticeship in the Creative Industries with our Arts and Learning Team and has been awarded her National Award in Community Arts Management. Here she tells us how the Modern Apprenticeship was a life-changing opportunity for her.

When I applied I had just dropped out of university where I was studying social work at the age of 17 (bad idea!). I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with myself or where I wanted to go in my future. Then, some may call this fate, but the day before the deadline I discovered the advert for this apprenticeship. I speedily applied and hoped for the best! After an enjoyable interview where I got to talk about my dance experience, the time I’ve spent in various dance youth groups and my desire to work with people I was offered the job! I was so excited it was ridiculous!
I thought my first two weeks would be mainly getting to know people and getting my computer set up and all the classic new job stuff you have to do. Although this was the case I was also thrown in the deep end and started working with the Festival Theatre for a touring production from Sadler’s Wells (ed: a world-renown venue in London dedicated to dance) called Breakin’ Convention. This was a tour I had admired for a long time, as it showcases some of the best national and international break dance and hip-hop talent around; including local crews from every city it visits. READ MORE!!
admin team Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

No comments:

Post a Comment